Saint Dominc Church

This church is also known as Minor Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary. It is located at 165, 9 de Julio Street and it was open in 1884. Its façade is neoclassic with Italian reminiscence. As a result, it is considered one of the most beautiful churches in the north of Argentina.

Important pieces of art are preserved in the interior, such as, “The Lying Christ”, a XVIII century Colonial sculpture from Alto Peru, Our Lady of Rosary Virgin image from XVI century, Saint Thomas Aquinas image which belongs to Spanish school dated XIX century. There is also an ancient organ which is stile played nowadays. Fray Justo Santa Maria de Oro, representative of San Juan province in the 1816 Tucumán Congress and Fray Manuel Pérez sculptures are at the entrance of the church.

In 1942, Pope Pius XII named it Minor Basilica. As a result, it was the first church with that honour.

The old monastery remains connected to the northern side of the church. Nowadays, it is the place for Universidad Del Norte Santo Tomás de Aquino (a private university).